Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Its cold outside... but its still going to somehow manage to rain :(

Don't get me wrong, it is freezing outside with highs trying to get above the 32 degree mark all throughout the tri state area including NYC... I know its been a long time since my last update, and I left off with "Since it looks like winter is coming, it seems I will be updating regularly"... Well obviously that did not happen... What did happen however was some extreme cold air along with lake effect snow, of which some areas in the Tri state got some snow put down, but no more then a coating... I usually like to just focus on the tri state area for the weather, and let me be honest, I am usually hopeful for snow, but it just doesn't look like we're going to get a storm that leaves us more then an inch or two of snow at least until late next week, potentially even later than that... I was very hesitant about blogging over the past couple of days, whether or not I should tell everyone there is a giant storm coming, and that we may indeed get a giant Nor'easter with wind and snow in the tri state area, and good thing I hesitated, because it looks like things have flipped... Everyone was getting so excited about winter and snow that bloggers and meteorologists were all saying how there is a good chance we get a decent snowstorm along I-95 in the coming weeks, but of course it just had to change... my luck... So let's check out exactly whats going to happen...

First things first... we have a weakish clipper system coming on by that should reach the area by Thursday... My current forecast is that Thursday into Friday we will have some snow which will be exciting, but not a lot... and I'm happy to be posting my first snow/snowfall map of the season, although it is far from anything really interesting...



So you can see across the northern areas of the Tri state we can expect generally an inch or two, although there will be someone who picks up a good three inches of snow, so far some of you this could be a real accumulating storm... Just to the north of the city a good solid inch of snow is expected, maybe more of a coating toward the immediate coast where some rain may try to mix in as warm air tries to settles for our next storm... The city could see some snow showers, probably very wet snow mixed with some rain, some people may see a dusting of snow here and there, and then south of that just expect clouds with a sprinkle or a flurry...

Just a quick summary of the big storm because it is so far ahead, the storm will take place late this weekend, so late Saturday into Monday, and as of now a lot of rain and wind with this one as the low will be developing right on top of us bringing a lot of warm air quickly, and then probably snow showers and wind behind the storm with some small accumulations after picking up a good 1-3 inches of rain!!!! Yes, rain... can you believe all this cold air was for nothing... well, I'll just leave you with something... The air behind this big storm will be even colder then now!!!! And even more storms in the future... KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED FOR SNOW!!!!

-Scott Pecoriello